Labor Day Weekend Barbeques and Festivities
August has arrived! Back-to-school season is upon us and we’ve been busy stocking up for your Labor Day weekend barbeques and festivities.
It feels like it was just yesterday that school was ending and summer camp was beginning. Before we know it, we’ll be getting those lunch boxes back out for another school year of mid-day meals. The challenge almost all parents face when preparing school lunches is avoiding boring sandwiches and snacks while keeping kids healthy and full for a day of learning and activities.
When it comes to variety, sometimes you have to get creative. With Doris’s Back to School Special Lunch Box Package at $15.95, you can create a spin on Italian antipasto pinwheels that are easy to eat and nutritious too!
All you’ll need are your deli cuts, your kid’s favorite cheese, a flour tortilla or Flatout flatbread, some pesto or condiments and your choice of lettuce, tomatoes, pickles or other veggies. With a layer of tinfoil underneath, arrange your ingredients across the tortilla or flatbread and roll it up! Slice into small pieces, firmly wrap with foil and refrigerate until it’s time to send the bambini off to school.
Some of our favorite combinations include:
- Centurion genoa salami, extra lean boiled ham, Carando Capicola with Belgioioso sharp provolone cheese, iceberg lettuce, tomato and salt, pepper, oregano seasoning
- Boar’s Head bologna, Countyline American cheese, mayonnaise and butter lettuce
- Doris deli roast beef, horseradish mixed with cream cheese or fontina with parsley and green onions
- Doris deli turkey breast, Appendaam swiss cheese, Dijon mustard and marinated red peppers
You can create these sandwich roll-ups using the deli meats and cheeses included in the Back to School special with just a couple of added extras from our deli counter.
These pinwheels also double as great appetizers that adults will love, too. Come up with your own signature style, the options are endless!
This Years Labor Day Specials
Our Labor Day specials this year have something for the entire famiglia. The Doris “Frank & Pattie” Package will have your grill filled with gourmet burgers and all-beef hotdogs for just $29.95. Don’t forget to grab some fresh rolls from the bakery! If you opt for the delicious Doris Special Clam Bake at $49.95, it’s safe to say that there will be no leftovers. With either special, we recommend creating a table spread that includes some complimentary sides and beverages that will be sure to please all your guests.
Some additions to consider for your table:
- A deli meat & cheese platter with marinated artichokes, olives, onions, tomatoes and peppers including fresh bread
- Grilled veggies, including asparagus steamed in foil on the grill
- A pasta salad made with tri-color fusili, salami, provolone, red and green peppers, and black olives, tossed in Italian dressing
- Fresh custard filled fruit tarts or black & white cookies from our bakery
- Wine spritzers made with Raymond Sauvignon Blanc and San Pellegrino
We’ve got it all! Doris is a one-stop-shop for your Labor Day entertaining needs. Don’t forget to visit our specials & promotions page to stay up-to-date on upcoming events and happenings.
As the season winds down to an end, we sincerely hope everyone enjoys this last month of summer surrounded by good friends, family and food.