Beef Stroganoff over Pasta
Thanks to Cara Kretz at Homemade Italian Cooking for this savory recipe!
Servings: 6 people
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 lb crimini mushrooms, sliced in thirds depending on size
- 1 ½ lbs steak, cut in ¼ inch thick strips
- 2 tbsp brandy (optional)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper, freshly ground
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
- 1 1/2 lb egg noodles
- Heat the canola oil on medium-high in a heavy pan.
- Fry the steak strips quickly, turning to sear once. The meat should still be pink. Set steak strips aside.
- Turn off the stovetop, adding the brandy to the same pan. Cook until all alcohol burns off.
- Heat the butter in the same pan, heat on medium, and cook the mushrooms and onions for 8-10 minutes, until onions are caramelized.
- Whisk the beef broth, Dijon, and Worcestershire sauce together in a separate bowl, until the mixture is smooth. Add the broth sauce to the pan, scraping the bottom to release the steak flavor.
- Add the bay leaf and salt and pepper to the pan, and cook for approximately 4 minutes, until bubbling.
- Return the steak strips to the pan and cook another 4 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- Remove the bay leaf and slowly add the sour cream and parsley, stirring. Remove from heat.
- Serve over egg noodles (cooked according to package), and garnish with chives.