Savory Italian Beef Stew
This savory stew is a real crowd-pleaser. Thanks Ivy Manning and Cooking Light!
Servings: 8 people (1 cup per person)
- 7 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 lbs boneless beef roast, trimmed and cubed
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 3/4 cups Tuttorosso plum tomatoes, chopped, seeded and peeled
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 3/4 cup carrot slices
- Heat a dutch oven or cooking pot with tight-fitting lid on medium-high setting.
- Add 1 tsp olive oil to the pot, and the chopped onion and carrot. Sauté for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and continue to cook for about 45 seconds, stirring constantly. Set vegetables aside.
- Sprinkle the cubed beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add the flour to a shallow dish and coat the beef.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the pot and sauté 1 lb of the beef for 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove and set beef aside, and repeat with the other lb, and set aside.
- Add the dry red wine to the pot, and bring to a boil while scraping the pot. Cook approximately 5 minutes until the wine is reduced to 1/3 cup.
- Return the meat and sautéed vegetables to the pot.
- Add the chopped tomato, beef broth, water, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, and mushrooms and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover, stir, and add the sliced carrot.
- Simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf and stir in the remaining ingredients before serving.