Zesty Italian Chili con Carne
This incredibly tasty chili recipe originally appeared on Taste of Home.
Servings: 6 people
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 28 oz can Cento chef’s cut tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 16 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- Shredded mozzarella cheese, optional
- Heat a large frying pan to medium, add ground chuck and sausage and brown.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, beef broth, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt, chili powder, garlic, onion, and red pepper into a 3-quart slow cooker and set on low.
- Drain the mixture of beef and sausage, and add to the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 6 hours.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the pot and sauté 1 lb of the beef for 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove and set beef aside, and repeat with the other lb, and set aside.
- Uncover and check to make sure vegetables are tender. When desired tenderness is reached, add the kidney beans, sliced mushrooms, diced zucchini and parsley.
- Cover again and increase heat to high, cooking for 30 minutes or until mushrooms and zucchini are tender.
- Sprinkle mozzarella on top if desired.