Screen Pass Chicken & Sausage Chili
For a quick tailgate get together. Yields 2 quarts. Recipe developed by The Clever Cleaver Brothers®
- 1/2 pound Doris’ Own Italian sausage
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup ½-inch diced Spanish onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup ½-inch diced red pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapenos (without seeds)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 cups Cento chicken broth (available in Low Sodium)
- 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce
- 1 cup white beans, drained
- 1 cup chili beans, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Remove the sausage from the casings and crumble.
- Rinse the chicken with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise, and cut across in thin strips.
- When ready to prepare the chili, heat the chicken broth in a saucepan or in the microwave and hold for use.
- Heat a 2-quart stock pot over medium heat and add the sausage crumbles. Sauté crumbles until 3/4 cooked and add the chicken slices. Combine.
- When the chicken is 3/4 cooked add onion, garlic, red pepper and jalapenos. Continue cooking until the chicken is done and stir in the chili powder. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Don’t let this flour mixture (roux) burn.
- Add the hot chicken broth and Hot Sauce. Combine.
- Add the white beans, chili beans, salt and pepper. Combine and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!