White Lasagna with Chicken and Spinach
Thanks to Lisa Humpf at All Recipes for this cheesy twist on traditional lasagna!
Serves 12 people
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups Cento chicken broth
- 1.5 cups whole milk
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 20 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese to top dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Lightly salt a large pot of water and bring to a boil and cook lasagna noodles for 8-10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cool water.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, adding onion and garlic and cooking until tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in flour and salt, and simmer until bubbling. Stir in the chicken broth and whole milk, and bring to a boil. Stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Stir in 2 cups of mozzarella and 1/4 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses, seasoning with basil, oregano, and black pepper.
- Remove saucepan from heat and set aside.
- In a 9×13 casserole dish, spread 1.3 of the sauce, and layer with 3 of the lasagna noodles. On top of the noodles, layer 1/3 of the ricotta and chicken. Layer 3 more noodles on top of the chicken, and spread 1/3 of the sauce mixture, all of the spinach, and the remaining mozzarella and 1/2 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Add the last 3 noodles, and spread remaining sauce on noodles.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and parsley over the dish.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes and let stand 3-5 minutes before serving.