Summer is in full swing and that means we are bursting at the seams with delicious fresh fruits that are now in season! Nature’s candy makes for the perfect snack on a hot day whether you’re hanging out at the beach or packing lunch for the kids before sending them off to camp. Also, fruity desserts are a beautiful and tasty addition to your dinner table or picnic spread. Our stock of peaches, cherries, watermelon, berries and more is always fresh and hand-selected for quality by our knowledgeable staff so you know you are getting the best.
What’s not to love about fruit? It’s sweet, refreshing and packed with fiber, minerals and vitamins that are essential for good health. One of our favorite fruits at Doris are juicy, fuzzy and aromatic peaches! Did you know peaches boast impressive levels of calcium, potassium, magnesium and iron, just to name a few? They belong to the Rosaseae family which includes other fruits like plums and cherries. Interestingly enough, Italy is one of the world’s top producers of peaches along with China, and Spain. There are so many delicious ways to enjoy peaches this summer, and some of them are quite innovative and unexpected.
Peach Amaretto Pops!
When the heat reaches record highs this summer, reach for these homemade popsicles to help cool off. With a hint of an Italian flavor, these lovely frozen bites contain no added sweeteners, so make sure you are using the sweetest peaches you can get your hands on.
To prepare 6 small popsicles you will need:
- 3 large, ripe peaches
- ½ cup of cream
- 1 cup of crushed amaretti cookies.
Combine all of the ingredients into a food processor, starting with peach slices, then adding in the cream until smooth. Throw in the cookie crumbles at the end, giving it a couple of pulses. Once you’ve got a nice texture, just pour into your popsicle molds and store in the freezer for about 6 hours. Everyone will love them!
Here are some other out-of-the-box ways to incorporate fruit into your summer meals!
- Throw peaches on the grill!
- Pair some grilled peaches with tender pork chops for a sweet and spicy flavor by adding in some balsamic vinegar and chili powder into the mix. The sweet juices from the peaches will even out the heat from the spices.
- Fruit in your salad.
- We don’t just mean cutting up various fruits and serving it in a bowl. Add fruits to your favorite savory salad for bursts of sweetness. We recommend sliced strawberries, peaches and grapes on top of a bed of fresh mixed greens with your favorite proteins like sliced grilled chicken or a handful of nuts. Don’t forget some goat cheese!
- Make compote!
- A popular treat among Italians and other Europeans is traditional compote made with ripened fruit. It can be made with your favorite combination of fruits like peaches, cherries and strawberries. In just 15 minutes you can have a delicious fruity treat that’s loaded with antioxidants. Best part is you can eat it warm or serve it cold!
We encourage everyone to enjoy the fruits of these summer months. Don’t be afraid to get creative! Fruit isn’t only delicious, it’s healthy and an easy way to indulge your sweet tooth without feeling guilty about it. Make sure to stop into Doris Italian Market for all your favorite fruits and vegetables; we work hard every day to make sure you are stocked up with nothing but the best this season has to offer.